These little donuts look like jewels, with their glistening glaze and pomegranate arils...
And they’re actually incredibly easy to make. This recipe is as simple as simple as making a brownies or pancakes. All you have to do is whisk the ingredients together in a bowl, pipe into a donut pan and bake. Don’t let the piping part intimidate you. If you have a large ziplock baggie that’s all you need. Fill the bag, cut a hole at one corner, and pipe the batter into the donut pan.
In the shopping section below you’ll find both medium and small size donut pans (I used both when making these because I liked the idea of having some donuts be tiny and some medium sized). You’ll also see the strawberry powder that I use and my favorite vanilla bean paste.
No Tasty Recipe created yet. Click 'Edit Recipe' in the widget controls to create one.
These baked ricotta donuts with pomegranate glaze are the easiest breakfast treats that you’ll ever make. You just need a bowl, a whisk, and a donut pan. Sometimes I dust the donuts with freeze dried strawberry powder after I glaze them for a soft, pillowy texture on top. It looks very cool. You don’t have to stack them, I just did it for the shot.
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (I like using avocado oil because if it’s nutritional benefits)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (170g) all-purpose or sub gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- Fresh pomegranate arils for garnish
- Freeze dried strawberry powder for dusting (optional) – see notes below on how to make it
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the inside of your donut pans with oil dust with flour. Mix the wet ingredients together before adding the dry. Transfer to a piping bag or a large zip lock baggie and pipe into the prepared donut pans. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just baked. The donuts will still be very white. Allow them to cool before glazing and decorating.
Mix the glaze together until smooth. Dip the donuts into the glaze and garnish with fresh pomegranate arils. Dust with a little bit of pomegranate powder if desired.
- My favorite vanilla brand is Heilala, based in New Zealand and made from sustainably sourced Tongan vanilla beans. They have agreat selection of flavored vanillas as well as traditional vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste. My second favorite vanilla bean paste is Nielsen-Massy pure vanilla bean paste, which you can buy through Amazon.
- To make freeze dried strawberry powder, finely crush a bag of freeze dried strawberries with a rolling pin. You can purchase dried strawberries at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and on line. You can also buy strawberry powder through Amazon. It’s great for frostings, and glazes, and even cocktails.