This is my dream breakfast...
When we lived in San Francisco we used to go to a restaurant called Rose’s Cafe almost every weekend for brunch, and my standard order was their breakfast pizza. It’s the stuff dreams are made of with a slightly charred, soft pillowy crust, smoked ham and fontina cheese. I had to recreate it for this brunch menu, and adding asparagus seemed like a nice addition for both color and crunch.
Put your cold, store bought pizza dough into an oiled bowl. Cover and let it rest at room temperature for at least an hour. This will allow it to proof and rise, so that you can roll it nice and thin. Once it’s ready, cover your pizza peel with semolina flour to ensure that it slides on and off easily, then place the dough on the peel.
Layer the fontina, ham, mozzarella and asparagus on the dough. I like to finely chop the asparagus stalks and keep the tips whole because the pizza looks more interesting that way, and it’s easier to eat. Once the toppings are on, press them down gently to flatten and then shake the pizza peel back and forth a bit, just to make sure that the dough isn’t sticking before putting it into the oven.
Slide your pizza onto a pizza stone in a 500°F, 260°C oven and cook until bubbling and golden, 10 to 14 minutes.
I love the idea of serving this pizza with sunny side up eggs. For Valentine’s Day I had to make them heart shaped, or course. I ordered these heart shaped rings from Amazon and they were perfect. Just brush them lightly with melted butter and put them in a heated non-stick pan. Put a little pad of butter in the center of each before frying the eggs until sunny side up. If the whites aren’t setting properly cover the pan with a lid for a minute and they’ll set perfectly.
Breakfast Pizza with Sunny Side Up Eggs, Asparagus, Ham & Fontina
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 min
- Yield: 2 pizzas 1x
- 1 ball store bought pizza dough, cut in half and put into two well oiled bowls
- ½ pound smoked ham, thinly sliced
- ½ pound sliced fontina cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, stalks finely chopped, tips left whole
- 4 eggs
- butter for eggs
- flour for rolling dough
- semolina flour for pizza peel
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F, 260°C with a pizza stone inside.
2. Allow dough to proof for at least an hour before rolling it out.
3. Dust the counter with flour and roll out the dough until it is a very thin circle.
4. Sprinkle the pizza peel with semolina flour, spreading it well.
5. Place the dough on the peel and then add the fontina, ham, mozzarella and asparagus.
6. Put the pizza in the oven and cook until golden and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Rotate half way through cooking if needed.
7. While the pizza is cooking, fry the eggs. Brush the insides of the heart shaped molds lightly with melted butter and put them in a heated non-stick pan. Put a little pad of butter in the center of each before frying the eggs until sunny side up. If the whites aren’t setting properly cover the pan with a lid for a minute and they’ll set perfectly. Once cooked add them to the top of the pizza and enjoy!